Luc Steels: Students
Graduated PhD students
(Ordered from 1986 onwards:)
- Viviane Jonckers (1986). A framework for modelling programming knowledge.
Currently: Professor of computer science VUB, Belgium. Head of Research group in system and software engineering SSEL. Vice-Dean of the Faculty of Sciences.
- Pattie Maes (1987). Computational Reflection.
Past: National Science Foundation Fellow, Belgium, Professor of media, arts and sciences, MIT, USA. Head of a group on Fluid Interfaces in the MIT Media Lab.
- Walter Daelemans (1987) An object-oriented model of Dutch morphophonology. (Linguistics Ph.D. at KUL.)
Past: Founding director of Induction of Linguistic Knowledge research group at University of Tilburg. Current: Professor of computational linguistics at University of Antwerpen and research director at the Centrum voor Nederlandse Taal en Spraak.
- Walter Van de Velde. (1988) Learning from Experience. Past: researcher at Carnegie Mellon University, USA, National Science Foundation Fellow, Belgium, director of research STAR Lab (Belgium).
- Kris Van Marcke. (1988) The Knowledge Representation System KRS and its implementation. Past: researcher Dida*El (Milan), director of Knowledge Technologies, n.v. Brussels.
- Bernard Manderick. (1992) A selectionist classification model. Past: researcher at ElectroTechnical Laboratory, Tsukuba, Japan. Current: professor of computer science VUB, Belgium. Head of research group at VUB on adaptive systems (COMO )
- Jo De Cuypere. (1992) An analogical representation of fluids. Past: Advisor ministery of science, Belgium (Flemisch Government). Current: Van Overstraeten Foundation , a non-profit organisation promoting micro-electronics to young researchers.
- Johan Van Welkenhuyse (1993) Participative Conceptual System Design of Industrial Knowledge Systems. Past: researcher Osaka University, Japan. Researcher at INRIA, Sophia Antipolis. Researcher Knowledge Technologies, n.v. Brussels. Current: Mediagenix, N.V. Brussels.
- Tony Bell (1993) A self-organisation principle for the dynamics of neurons. Current: researcher at Salk Institute , San Diego, USA.
- Piet Spiessens (1993) A parallel fine-grained genetic algorithm. Past: Researcher at Belgacom, Brussels. Current: Project leader at Telenet, n.v.
- Didier Keymeulen (1994) Past: Researchers at Electrotechnical Laboratory, Tsukuba. Current: Researcher at Jet Propulsion Labs, Pasadena, Ca, USA. Center for Integrated Space Microsystems . Head of a group on evolvable hardware.
- Josefina Sierra (1996) Formal knowledge level models for software agents. Past: Researcher at Stanford, USA (with John McCarthy). Current: Professor of Computer Science at the Autonoma University Madrid, Spain.
- Aurelien Slodzian (co-graduated at University of Paris, Jussieu) (1998) A Componential Methodology for Modeling Multi-Agent Cooperation. Current: Independent consultant in knowledge engineering.
- Bart de Boer. (1999) The self-organisation of vowels. Past: Researcher at the Center for mind, brain and learning. , Seattle, USA, Professor in Cognitive Robotics at University of Groningen, the Netherlands. Current: professor in Evolutionary Linguistics at University of Amsterdam, the Netherlands.
- Edwin de Jong (1999) Autonomous Formation of Concepts and Communication. Current: Post-doctoral Researcher at the Dynamical and Evolutionary Machine Organization group Brandeis University, USA.
- Frederic Kaplan (2000) (graduated at University of Paris, Jussieu; official promotor Alexis Drogoul). Current: Researcher at the Sony Computer Science Laboratory, Paris, France.
- Paul Vogt (2000) Lexicon Grounding on Mobile Robots. Current: Institute of Knowledge and Agent Technology Maastricht, the Netherlands.
- Sabine Geldof (2000) (Linguistics Ph.D. University of Antwerp. Official promotor: Walter Daelemans) Context-sensitivity in advisory text generation. Past: Research Fellow Department of Computing. Macquarie University of Sydney, Australia. Current: Consultant at Namahn, Brussels.
- Holger Kenn (2001) CubeOS. A component-based operating system for autonomous systems. Current: Researcher at the University of Bremen, Germany.
- Tony Belpaeme (2002) Factors influencing the origins of colour categories. Past: FWO postdoctoral researcher at VUB AI-lab. Current: Lecturer at Plymouth University, UK.
- Joris Van Looveren (2005) Design and Performance of Pre-Grammatical Language Games.
- Bart Jansen (2005) Robot imitation: The emergence of shared behaviour in a population of agents. Current: Postdoctoral researcher at ETRO (VUB).
- Bart De Vylder (2008) The evolution of conventions in multi-agent systems
- Joachim De Beule (2008) The Emergence of Compositionality, Hierarchy and Recursion in Language. Current: Postdoctoral researcher at VUB AI Lab.
- Remi van Trijp (2008) Analogy and Multi-Level Selection in the Formation of a Case Grammar (Ph.D. University of Antwerp. Official promotor: Walter Daelemans). Current: Postdoctoral researcher at Sony CSL Paris.
- Joris Bleys (2010) Language Strategies for the Domain of Colour. Current: Software Architect at Technicolor.
- Michael Spranger (2011) The Evolution of Grounded Spatial Language. Current: Postdoctoral researcher at Sony CSL Tokyo.
- Pieter Wellens (2012) Adaptive Strategies in the Emergence of Lexical Systems. Current: Co-founder and CTO of APIC, Antwerp.
- Matthias Stevens (2012) Community Memories for Sustainable Societies. Current: Research associate at University College London.
- Katrien Beuls (2013). Towards an agent-based tutoring system for Spanish verb conjugation. Current: Postdoctoral researcher at VUB AI Lab and university lecturer.
Current PhD Students
- Emilia Garcia Casademont (Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Barcelona)
- Yana Knight (Vrije Universiteit Brussel)
- Paul van Eecke (Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Sony CSL)