Luc Steels: Service and administrative experience
Regular reviewer for: Nature, Cognitive Science, Artificial Life, Artificial Intelligence, Cognition, Robotics and Autonomous Systems.
Phd Thesis Commitees
- Olivier Simenon (Montpellier, 2001)
- Jean-Christophe Baillie (Paris, 2001)
- Liane Gabora (VUB Brussels, 2001)
- Hadassa Jakobovits (VUB Brussels, 2000)
- Ahmed-Reda Berrah (University de Grenoble, 1998)
- Yves Donnard (Ecole Normale Superieur Paris, 1998)
- Roman Cunis (University of Hamburg)
- José del R. Millan (University of Barcelona)
- Henry Lieberman (University of Paris, 1990)
- Richard Benjamins (University of Amsterdam, 1993)
- Bert Bredeweg (University of Amsterdam, 1986)
Regular reviewer for: Flemish FWO, European Commission (Esprit program since first framework in 1982), CNRS (France).
Role in Scientific Organizations
- Member New York Academy of Sciences
- Founding Board Member of ECCAI, the European organisation for Artificial Intelligence. Aided in setting up ECCAI headquarters in Belgium.
- Member steering committee Society for AI and Simulation of Behavior (until 1990).
- Founder and president (from 1984 until 1994) of BAAI, the Belgian AI organisation. BAAI has now merged with the Dutch AI organisation to become the BNVKI.
- Member of the Scientific Advisory Board GMD, the German National Research Institute in Computer Science, from 1996 until 2000 when GMD became part of Fraunhofer.
- Member of the Scientific Advisory Board of DFKI, the German Research Center for Artificial Intelligence. (from 1988 until 1993).
- Member Scientific Advisory Board Electrum (National Swedish Institute for Computer Science) (in 1994)
- Member FWO commmission for computer science.
- Member of Koninklijke Vlaamse Academie van België voor Wetenschappen en Kunsten
Role in Journals
- and co-founder (with Bob Wielinga) until early 90's: AI Communications (now the main European AI Journal)
- and co-founder (with Sherman Wilcox) Journal Evolution of Communication. (Walter Benjamins)
- Artificial Life Journal (MIT Press)
- Adaptive Behavior Journal (Sage Publications, London)
- Journal of Universal Computer Science (Springer)
- Journal of Complex Systems (Hermes)
- Journal of Genetic Programming and Evolvable Machines (Kluwer)
Member editorial board
- Cognitive Science Quarterly (Hermes)
- In Cognito (Grenoble) (French)
- Artificial Intelligence Abstracts (until 1991)