Katrien Beuls (°1986) received her MSc in Speech and Language Processing from the University of Edinburgh in 2009 and her MA in Linguistics from the University of Leuven in 2008. She defended her PhD in 2013 at the VUB on a new framework for Computer-Assisted Language Learning that is rooted in Computational Construction Grammar and uses fundamental techniques of symbolic AI such as student modelling and the representation of tutoring strategies to provide personalised feedback to the student. At present she is assistant professor in Computer Science lecturing in Natural Language Processing technologies and symbolic programming. She is Principal Investigator on the ESSENCE Evolutionary Semantics Marie Curie initial training network and prime coordinator of the ATLANTIS (Era-Net) project. Her main research interests lie in the applications of Computational Construction Grammar in diverse settings including language tutoring, formal grammars, music composition and evolutionary linguistics.
- last chance! Apply for our scientific atelier on "Multi-modal grounded language learning" at the Lake Como Summer School on Creativity and Evolution.
- new! Student project on Large-scale grammar induction from linguistic resources
- Student project on Statistical Analysis and Modeling of Robot Data for Category Formation
- Demonstrations of my work on tutoring and formal grammars
- Talks, attended conferences, etc.
A Construction Grammar Approach to Pronominal Clitics in European Portuguese. In Computational Processing of the Portuguese Language. Springer.. (2016).
Steps towards intelligent MOOCs: A Case Study for Learning Counterpoint. In , Music Learning with Massive Open Online Courses (pp. 119-144). Amsterdam: IOS Press.. (2015).
The rise of the verbal weak inflection in Germanic: An agent-based model. Computational Linguistics in the Netherlands Journal, 5, 81-102.. (2015).
Grammatical error diagnosis in Fluid Construction Grammar: a case study in L2 Spanish verb morphology. Computer Assisted Language Learning, ahead-of-print. doi:10.1080/09588221.2012.724426. (2014).
Towards an agent-based tutoring system for Spanish verb conjugation. Vrije Universiteit Brussel.. (2013).
Agent-Based Models of Strategies for the Emergence and Evolution of Grammatical Agreement. PLoS ONE, 8(3), e58960. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0058960. (2013).
Fluid Construction Grammar for Historical and Evolutionary Linguistics. Proceedings of the 51st Annual Meeting of the Association for Computational Linguistics. presented at the 08/2013, Sofia, Bulgary.. (2013).
Diagnostics and Repairs in Fluid Construction Grammar. In , Language Grounding in Robots (pp. 215-234). Berlin: Springer Verlag.. (2012).
Inflectional patterns as constructions: Spanish verb morphology in Fluid Construction Grammar. Constructions and Frames, 4, 231-252. doi:doi:10.1075/cf.4.2.04beu. (2012).
- PhD position: Open-ended Robot Interaction (4 Apr 2016)
- Internship: computational linguist / grammar engineer (1 Feb 2016)
- Tutorial on Fluid Construction Grammar (10 Nov 2015)
- Who's afraid of AI? (29 Oct 2014)
- Online course on Fluid Construction Grammar (22 Aug 2014)